My BEAUTIFUL BOOK (Written by children)
I was recently farewelled from my part time teaching position at Te Uku Primary School, near Raglan. The farewell assembly was memorable. My speech was simple. Why have I been at the school for four and a half years? To help and to care and above all to be kind. I have taught at every class level and loved it and I view it as being a privileged teaching position.
I then told the students sitting in front of me that I see in them, hope, joy and potential. I added, they were all precious and special.
I enjoy teaching writing. My goal was for each student to proudly say, I’m a writer.
And so to my beautiful book. I was presented with a unique, beautifully appointed book, ‘A Collection of Stories from our Lives’, written by Te Uku School Tamariki/children. Outlined below are a number of excerpts from their stories.
‘I will miss you Matua (male teacher) Steve. I like it when you read the stories in your book (The Trouble with Twins A memoir). ‘I liked the story about your first day at school’. ‘When I was little, mum left the door open at night and the outdoor dog slept on my bed all night!’ ‘Once, my mum told me to not climb a big tree, but I did anyway. I climbed to the tippy-top and I got stuck’. ‘I love you Matua Steve, because you read us the story about your older sister driving your mum and dad’s car.’ ‘Thank you for being a kind teacher’.
You’re welcome kids. I miss you.
Comments
Post a Comment